Some Dynamite Chicken

I decided to try my hand at making a roast chicken tonight. Yes, it's true: I had never really roasted a whole chicken before. I usually took the lazy route to buy one of those grocery store birds in the plastic packaging, but not tonight.

The chicken itself turned out really good. I used Alton Brown's recipe for roast chicken as a guideline (mainly because I couldn't figure out how to butterfly the thing) and it ended up with some great flavor and juiciness. I then moved on to the step to deglaze the pan and make some jus. We don't really have a metal roasting pan, so I had cooked the chicken in a Pyrex dish. And yes, I put it on the stove.

Everything was going fine until I started pouring the liquid into another container. I had just finished getting the last drops out when… the pan exploded all over the kitchen. There were bits of casserole dish a good 10 feet away. Both Shauna and I were so taken aback that we just stood there looking at the mess for several seconds before we hurried the dogs into the backyard and started to clean it up.

So let that be a lesson for those of you that don't know: Pyrex and direct heat just don't mix. 

This entry was posted in Food, Homeownership, Life. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Some Dynamite Chicken

  1. Vanessa says:

    Pyrex doesn’t always take well to boiling water either.
    I learned that lesson with one of my first ever attempts at cooking. I was about 9 and determined to make something for Thanksgiving dinner. Being oh so cosmopolitan I decided that orange Jell-O would be perfect. The pyrex bowl shattered all over the place and the boiling water went everywhere.

  2. Jenn says:

    Oh my goodness! I have a large roasting pan come borrow it next time 🙂

  3. notaturkeybone says:

    Brett tried to cook some lasagna noodles in the pressure cooker right after we got married. I was at the store and when I got home, he was standing in the kitchen with his face white as a sheet. There was starchy water everywhere — on the counters, on the floors, dripping from the ceiling like stalactites.

    The lid had blown off the pressure cooker when he touched it and doused him in boiling water. Luckily, he had the presence of mind to jump into a cold shower right away and stopped most of the burning. He did have a burn mark on his chest for a couple of weeks that looked like the Superman “S.” That was cool, I guess.

    Also, once I was filling up a cold pyrex dish with hot water so I could wash it and it shattered in the sink.

  4. Jason says:

    Lucky you’re not hurt. In Florida, there was a guy who was trying to warm up his lava lamp faster, so he put it on a burner.

    Thing exploded, and in ‘Final Destination’ form, got a chunk of glass in his throat and died from it.

  5. Jesse says:

    Thanks for that, Andrea. I feel much better about myself now. 😀

  6. Shauna says:

    I think we’ll be hitting the BB&B sometime soon to pick us up a proper roasting pan.

    And a new pyrex casserole dish.

  7. Kristi says:

    It’s so nice to hear about other people’s shattering experiences with Pyrex, I feel less alone. I bet we could start a lawsuit for not being properly warned and get rich. You know all these idiotic warnings are on things because someone sued. It’s our duty, right?

  8. Bobbie says:

    I got one to explode once in the oven… really weird…

  9. Bill Fox says:

    corningware is much better than pyrex. We have had one crack from spending too long in the nuker but never shatter

  10. Wow, and I thought I was dumb for putting a glass dish on the stove. Yep, shattered. I’m kinda glad this is a problem that many people seem to have. Makes me feel smarter that people I highly regard do it too. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.